WEARABLE TECHNOLOGY FASHION COMPETITION, PRESENTED BY DIGITAL TRENDS
Welcome to the 2014 FashioNXT Wearable Technology Fashion Competition for the most fashionable wearable technology design concept, presented by Digital Trends.
The purpose of this competition is to inspire innovative thinking to go beyond and above making technology wearable to making it fashionable and most importantly worn. Imagine and design what has not been imagined before. Stretch the imagination on all ideas fashionable with no limits or boundaries. Change the status quo on how the world experiences the use of technology through fashion.
Conceptual designs are encouraged to be fashion forward with use of innovative technology design methodologies and proposed materials. Design concepts do not have to be currently feasible. The technology specifications are not part of the competition criteria. The competition’s sole focus is on the fashion forwardness of the conceptual designs and the designs ability to motivate the audience to desire the product concept.
The finalists and winner will receive recognition of their talent by having their design concepts showcased at the 2014 FashioNXT runway show and receiving national and international press. A prize package will be awarded to the winner of the most fashionable wearable technology design concept, details below.
- Jeremy Kaplan - Editor in Chief, Digital Trends
- Howard Nuk - Head of Industrial Design, Samsung Design America
- Michelle Lesniak - Fashion designer, winner of Project Runway season 11
- Seth Aaron - Fashion designer, winner of Project Runway season 7.
- Eden Dawn - Style Editor, Portland Monthly Magazine
- Russ Stromberg - Account Director, Synapse
- Matt Rhoades - Design Lead, Nike
- Mark Francis - Venture Lead, New Business Initiative, Intel
- Karim Rashid - Global Design Visionary
- Sivakumar Ramamurthy - Managing Director, Intel Capital
- $1,000 Cash Prize
- Feature on Digital Trends, The Manual, The Oregonian-Oregonlive and FashioNXT.net
- Showcased at FashioNXT 2014 Runway Show and free exhibit at FashioNXT 2015 Runway Show
- A computer system with Intel’s latest technology, courtesy of Intel Corporation
- Complimentary benefits from Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN)
- One year free membership to Technology Association of Oregon (TAO)
How to Participate
The Wearable Technology Fashion Competition is open to anyone with fashionable ideas – creatives of all types, students, entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, technologists, and visionary thinkers. To Participate, submit the following about your design concept online.
Contestants are required to submit their design concept by September 18, 2014. Three finalists will be determined by industry experts and announced on September 29. The finalists will have their designs showcased on the FashioNXT Runway screen on October 9, 2014 in Portland, Oregon at which one contestant will emerge as the winner of the most fashionable wearable technology design concept. All participants must be 16 or older. Finalists have to cover their own travel cost to FashioNXT.
- Fashion Forwardness
- Innovation and Originality of Design
- Functionality of Technology Application
What is Wearable Technology?
Wearable Technologies are devices, clothing and accessories incorporating computer and advanced electronic technologies. The designs often incorporate practical functions and features, but may also have a purely aesthetic agenda. Current examples in the market or in development include clothing with sensors and accessories like watches, glasses and wristbands.
The protection of any intellectual property is the sole responsibility of the Contestant. Submitting a design concept grants FashoiNXT the right to publicly display the submission in part or in whole for the purpose of administering this competition and future FashioNXT promotions.